Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Mid Summer Nights Run 30km

Well the time finally arrived.  I had taken Thursday and Friday off running, and did a light weight workout Friday evening  and lots of stretching.  I spent the day Saturday around the house, I made a banana bread and other various chores around the home.  Nothing strenuous.

We left around 3pm to be there for 5p as the 30k started at 5:30pm.  I had picked up our kits on the Thursday, so it was just to worry about any traffic and parking issues.  They had given me a parking pass, but we ended up finding a spot RIGHT beside McCleary Park.  Literally 200ft away from the start line.

A downside was, Scott planned on doing the 5k with the double stroller and Piper running, and when we got there, we obviously didn't read the email for final instructions because it was a shuttle to the 5k start.  Scott groaned and was looking for a way out of it, but Piper would have been CRUSHED to miss it.  My bestie Brooke lives super close, and she came down and helped him corral kids during the 5k and they walked the whole thing together, no stroller. Kids had a great time, they played at the park and Steele was DELIRIOUS with the crowd cheering him thru the finish!  Piper really enjoys the running and always says 'Mommy says to finish strong!"

So some nervousness at the start line, I got in around the 2:45 pace bunny.  I started and just kept my eyes down and looking a few feet in front of me.  I have been trying hard lately to not compare or compete, especially too early.  It was a little warm but it was cooling nicely as the sun was setting.  Some of the areas were still dealing with traffic, and it was nice to sight see and not think about running so much. 

At 8 km mark ( 42 min) , I slowed to a walk and took my first gel, rinsed my mouth with water and started running again.  About 2 min later, I had a stitch starting and it was pretty difficult to run.  I honestly can't say if it was a mindplay on my part, as we had just come around to where the race started, and part of me wanted to quit.  I've done 2 ATB's so it wasn't the distance as much as it was the distance IN SUMMER.  I think I had just freaked myself out so much the last month, I had almost convinced myself I couldn't wouldn't   do it. At the next aid station, I grabbed some gatorade and stretched a bit while I walked for a minute or 2.  Admittedly, kilometers 8-15 were rough.  My lips were really dry, and the stitch and lower abdomin hurt.  I had to turn down my Ipod because it just felt too loud in my ears.  Then it just seemed to disappear as quickly as it came.  I picked up a bit and ran until I hit around 20k and decided to take a 2nd gel and a fresh piece of gum.  (I love to chew gum when I run, keeps my mouth moist.  Vanilla mint splash)

I am pretty sure I had another walk break in there between 20-25km , but still could see the 2:45 pace bunny a few hundred meters in front of me.  We ended up running into a park area, and this is what really slowed me down.  I am a good race finisher, the last kilometer I can seem to find some energy on reserve, BUT it's the 2 or 3 km BEFORE that last km that get me.  There is something with being so close and not done yet. And looking back to the womens Starbucks run we did around Mother's day, I don't do well in closed loopy areas like parks.  It really wears me out.  So km's 24-27 were looping around this park by the beach.  Nice scenery, but I just hate the feeling of up here, over there, now down this way and out across there.  LOL.  Plus there was beachgoers and people sightseeing at the park.  I just wanted OUT OF THE PARK.  I lost some time in the park, AND the 2:45 bunny.....

So I ran behind the 3:00 bunny and finished strong from 29 km on. I stayed on the outside of the pylons and sped up after turning that final corner.  I tried to run and crowd gaze to see if I could see my family.  After crossing the mat, I saw Scott and he high 5'd me!  The kiddos' were pretty happy to see mom and I WAS SO EFFING HAPPY TO BE DONE!  It was a tough run. 
Slower than my Around the Bay time but I had consistantly run that and with the walking I did last night, I know the better time is there.  Humidity and lack of good training in July and most of August hurt me.  BUT I AM OK WITH IT!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I loved reading about the race!
    I laughed at the park bit. Going here, go there, around here. It is a pain in the ass. I concur!
    I loved reading
    'Mommy says to finish strong!"
    And that you all did!! I think it's fabulous she's into the running Pam. Healthy ways to cope.

    Did you know you can take off word verification prompting to people posting on your blog? LOL I just took it off mine. Just an FYI.

    Way to go again for finishing it! You f'n rock!
    You said it was tough but it sounded easy reading what you wrote. lol

    I hope one day I can run longer distances with you!